Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Due Diligence


Due Diligence

Nights during my childhood, I was on duty.
Muscles tense, I memorized the exact
Position of my ankles, wrists, the hair
Limp across my neck, certain that the
Precision of my pose would shield
Me, my parents, my brothers and sisters
From catastrophe.  Each breath was
Allowed a measure of freedom to escape
But only to return with intelligence
Of the invisible kitchen, stairwell,
Basement.  I analyzed every nuance
Of scent, scrutinizing particles of air
For telltale whiffs of smoke, wondering
If it was time to get up and check.
Because I was reassured by the same
Vigilance that kept me awake and
Petrified, I was engaged in an ever-looping
Dialogue that had no off ramp.  Is there a fire
In the house,  quietly overtaking my family
Or can I relax now and fall asleep?

June 8, 2011

1 comment:

  1. This morning, I scanned through poetry-writing exercises on "The Poetry Resource Page" http://www.poetryresourcepage.com/teach/pex.html
    As you can see, I chose to do the "fear" exercise.

    ReplyDelete